25 August 2015
Top 3 Ways to Get Involved with SXSWedu 2016
This post is also cross-posted the Shake Up Learning blog by Kasey Bell.
South by Southwest® (SXSW) is the largest festival of its kind for creative professionals around the world. For those not familiar, the event is actually a series of conferences and festivals that encompass music, film and emerging technologies. While SXSW includes a number of events, the SXSWedu Conference and Festival looks specifically at learning and innovation in education.
This year SXSWedu takes place March 7th – 10th, and includes “engaging sessions, interactive workshops, hands on learning experiences, film screenings, early stage startups and a host of networking opportunities". If you haven’t checked out the event before you should definitely visit their site to learn more.
SXSWedu offers unique opportunities for attendee engagement before, during, and after the conference that are unlike any other conference in the industry! Even though the event is more than 6 months away, plenty of social buzz is already happening. That’s why we’ve listed below the top 3 ways you can get involved with SXSWedu, starting today…
http://panelpicker.sxsw.com/ and click sign in. You do have to create an account, but it only takes a few seconds.
Not sure where to start after signing in? Here are a couple of sessions that we would love your help towards being accepted (don’t worry, you can vote for as many sessions as you want).
- Big Data in Education – Online tools like Google Apps for Education provide tons of useful analytics that can help educators, researchers and software developers learn more about which technologies and features are helping students the most. The goal of this session is to explain how and what that means for the future of education.
- Can you hear me now? The Power of Student Voice Kasey Bell, Kristen Swanson andChris Aviles – Have you ever asked a student about their learning experiences? The results can be eye-opening! Research shows that only 44 percent of students believe they have a voice in decision making, and this dips to as low as 34 percent in the 12th grade (www.stuvoice.org). Join a celebrated panel of students and educators as we discuss ways to incorporate student voice into the school culture, classroom, professional learning and beyond.
2 – Social Media– Follow the latest news about the conference, learn what’s trending, and connect with your favorite speakers. SXSWedu information is available on the following social channels and even has their own social platform, SXsocial
See what’s trending today on your favorite social channel: #SXSWedu #PanelPicker #edchat
3 – Attend the event – the conference, festival and expo offer many opportunities to immerse yourself in the compelling content from industry leaders in education:
- SXSWedu Conference & Festival badge – the option that gives you all-access to the content available throughout the 4-day conference. Registration includes keynotes, all sessions & workshops, eduFILM screenings, Playground displays, and more!
- SXSWedu Expo – a free event for students, parents, educators, employers, and schools, designed to help you “identify and reach your education and career goals”. The Expo provides hands-on, interactive exhibits and takes place on March 8th from 9am – 5pm at the Austin Convention Center. http://sxswedu.com/expo
- Can’t make the trip to Austin this year? Follow the latest news about SXSWedu on social and via the official SXSW newsletter. You can start by taking a look at some past sessions posted on Google+ and YouTube. We recommend checking out SXSWedu 2015 Featured Session, “If I Knew then What I Know Now” by Guy Kawaski, Canva Chief Evangelist.
Have you attended SXSWedu before? If so be sure to leave any helpful tips in the comments area below!