Journal writing prompts
If you’re looking for new ways to get your students writing, our journal writing prompts can help get them thinking.
What are journal prompts?
Journal prompts provide inspiration if you're not quite sure where to start with what to write in your journal. When used in an education setting, they provide each student with the opportunity to connect with what they’re writing by expressing their own individuality in response to the questions and statements.
Journal writing prompt examples
We have provided 31 journaling prompts to help get you or your students started with writing:
- What do you want to be when you grow up? Why?
- What are five things you would like to do before you are 20 years old?
- What is your dream job? Describe a typical work day at this job.
- What do you think your life will be like when you are 30 years old?
- What are the three most important jobs in the world? Why are these three jobs so important?
- Would you want to be the president? Why or why not?
- Would you rather be a famous writer, a rock star, or a doctor who finds a cure for cancer? Why?
- What are the most important qualities in a friend? Are you a good friend? Why or why not?
- Is it ever okay to lie? Why do you think so?
- What are three things that every parent should do? Why are these things important?
- It has been said that money can’t buy happiness. Do you agree or disagree? Why?
- Would you rather be beautiful, smart, or athletic? Why?
- Describe a real made-up dream or nightmare.
- Write about your favorite childhood toy.
- Write out the best or the worst day of your life.
- Finish this thought: if I could change one thing about myself (if you can't think of anything, you might want to consider telling how you got to be perfect!)
- If and when I raise children, I'll never...
- I have never been more frightened than when...
- Persuade a friend to give up drugs.
- Five years from now, I will be...
- Write about a day you'd like to forget.
- Invent and describe a new food.
- Describe an event that changed your life forever, or make up and describe an event that would change your life forever.
- Describe someone who is a hero to you and explain why.
- Write about a time in your life when you struggled with a choice and made the right one.
- Imagine yourself in a different century and describe an average day in your life.
- Which character from a book would you most like to meet and why?
- Three goals I have set for myself are...
- List the top 5 people you admire, and why.
- Who is your favorite person in the world and why?
- What is your favorite song/musical piece and why?
Share experiences from your own life
What do you eat for breakfast? What influences your choices? Health? Taste? Time and effort?
What places in your hometown hold your strongest memories? Are these places still around? Or have they been torn down and made into something new?
What did you read last year? Which books did you like best? Which, in your opinion, weren’t as good? Which would you recommend to others? Why?