40+ Writing prompts for elementary students
Inspire writing growth in your youngest students. These writing prompts will have students imagining endless possibilities for their writing.
Journal Prompts for kids examples:
- What makes your school special?
- What would you like to invent?
- Have you ever broken something? What happened?
- What do you like to do when you're not at school?
- Have you ever had an imaginary friend?
- What is the best thing on the school playground? Why?
- Who is your favorite movie character?
- What are you really good at doing?
- What do you want to do better?
- What do you find annoying?
- How do you feel about talking in front of people?
- How do you feel about surprises?
- What superpower would you like to have?
- Write about something special you own.
- What is your favorite flavor of ice cream? What does it taste like?
- What will your grown-up life be like?
- What is the best art project or picture you have ever made?
- Imagine you invent a new kind of car in the future. What does it look like?
- How do kids learn to be kind?
- What happens when people can't work together?
- What makes a good friend?
- How do you cheer up a friend who is sick?
- What kind of gift is the best to give?
- What makes someone a good babysitter?
- Pick someone you love. What does that person look like?
- What if you could bring an animal to school?
- What if you had a time machine?
- What if you grew up to be taller than the school?
- What if you were the teacher?
- What if you were a baby again?
- What if cows could drive cars?
- What if you could only see the color yellow?
- What if the president were a kid?
- What if you had a friend who spoke a different language?
- What if you lived in a swimming pool?
- Once upon a time, a child woke up as a turtle….
- The car stopped in front of my house, and a clown got out….
- Three friends went on a trip to the moon. The best thing about it was….
- Once, I rode a unicorn to school….
- My teacher came to my house for dinner. We talked about….
- One day, my mom and dad switched jobs….
- I was walking in the woods, and someone called my name. I looked down and saw it was a frog….
- A boy had a dream he was a pirate and woke up on a pirate ship….
- The teacher's necklace is missing, and only one person knows what happened….
- A new kid comes to school and says he is from 1900….
Not every student is comfortable getting their thoughts down on paper
Read&Write is a digital literacy tool that helps students express their thoughts and opinions through words. Your students can use tools in Read&Write like Check It, Talk and Type, and the text and picture dictionaries to help develop their confidence in writing.